Monday, March 7, 2011

Buenos Aires, Argentina

Hi all!

So This is my blog that I will hopefully keep up with while I am in Buenos Aires, Argentina for the next five months. I arrived in Buenos Aires on Friday the 4th.  My plane got in around 9:00am (so like 5:00am WI time), but after going through baggage claim I had to wait in line at customs for a good half hour.  Doesn't sound like much, but the line was more of a hot, tired, mob of people who all had flights get in at once.  Not ideal after a 10 and half hour plane ride, but I can't really complain...I am in Buenos Aires! :)

Our room at Hebe's

So after finally going through customs I along with two other CEA study abroad students, were taken to our host families houses.  My roommate Merritt and I were dropped off first.  Our host mom Hebe, lives in a small apartment in the barrio (district) called Belgrano. This is in the same barrio as my university, Universidad de Belgrano, and is only a 15 minute bus ride (19 blocks) from our apartment. I live in a nicer area and there a lot of cute café type places all around near us. The avenida (avenue) that i live on is called El Cano and has a lot of night life, with people sitting outside the cafes with a bottle of Stella or wine. Anyways, my host mom Hebe is very nice! She doesn't speak english much, but speaks Spanish slowly for Merritt and I. She doesn't mind repeating things either.

At the feria
So far I've just done a lot of wandering around. We walk around our neighborhood a lot. On Saturday we had our CEA orientation and took a bus to the Palermo barrio. Our advisors took us too lunch after orientation and then some of us walked to a feria, which is like a big market with a ton of little stands selling bags, jewelry, art, food..just about everything! It's all outside and there were people everywhere.  We then went to the Hard Rock Café to wait in line for tickets to the Shakira concert. Such a good purchase. We went to the concert that night and it was AMAZING! There were so many people there. There were two giant stands packed with people on both sides  of the standing crowd. And the standing area was packed as well. It was such a fun time.

Yesterday my roommate, two friends, and I went to lunch at a small café. I ordered a hamburger and it came complete with eggs, ham, lettuce, and tomato. It was very good. Then we went to a park and hung out for a while.  Last night we got to experience the night life for the first time. Since it was Sunday it wasn't very busy, but as the night went on more people came. They stay out so late here, so siestas (naps during the day) are a must. Can't complain about that though. :)

Well that is all for now! Besos!

1 comment:

  1. So good to see your smiling face! I miss you but know that this will be a wonderful experience for you! Thanks for posting the pictures!

    Love you,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete