Sunday, March 20, 2011

Días Improvisos



Delicious parilla
On Sunday March 13th, the day before school started, my host mom, roommate, and I went to a type of barbeque for Emma's birthday.  Emma is my host mom's granddaughter and she just turned three.  The barbeque is really called a parilla and it is delicious.  They cooked the carne and chorizos on a giant version of a grill.  The carne was a giant piece of meat that, after grilling, they sliced up and we ate on buns or pita.  The same went for the chorizos, which are like sausages.  That was the type of food I had been waiting to have in Argentina though.  Really it was some of the best food I've had here so far.  After the eating slowed down, the food was cleared and they began to bring out glasses, champagne, and cake.  We all sang Feliz Cumpleaños (Happy Birthday) to Emma and then her mom, Anabela, cut the cake.  It was a chocolate cake with dulce de leche layered in it.  We all drank champagne with it and then after had coffee.  Needless to say I was uncomfortably full 
Hebe and Emma
when we left, but it was definitely worth it.  It was a good day to practice Spanish too. It's sort of intimidating being around a group of close family friends who all speak Spanish and only understanding some of what's being said.  However, like most of the people I've met so far, they were all patient and encouraging. It was a good thing I was able to practice speaking since classes started the next day.


So far I've had one week of school, which started, on the 14th.  I have one class, Intermediate B Spanish, on Monday and Wednesday.  Then on Tuesday and Thursday I have Latin American Literature, Latin America Cinema, and Argentine Traditions and Cultures.  The classes are all very interesting, but they're also all in Spanish. Listening and actually comprehending what the professors say while writing notes is almost impossible for me at this point.  Luckily though, a lot of what they say is just reinforced in the assigned readings.  The books we use are actually like manuals that the professors compile specifically for their classes, but they all have to be copied then bound when you order them. So even though I've had a week of class I still can't pick up one of my books until Tuesday.  The professors are pretty lenient with homework due dates through the first two weeks though, since we can change our schedules until the 24th.  Because of this the class sizes and those in them can change a lot. With the exception of my spanish class, the average classroom size seems to be about 20-25.  My spanish class however, consists of six people, four from the U.S, one from Slovakia, and one from France.  It's interesting to hear the way those from other countries speak spanish; everyone has different dialects. 


On Reconquista
On Wednesday we began the Visa process and then on Thursday celebrated St. Patrick's Day of course!  I wasn't sure if St. Pat's would be too popular here, but after reading a little online I found out that Buenos Aires hosts a St. Patrick's Day party stretching over 10 blocks.  The avenue, Reconquista, was packed with people in green.  We saw someone playing the bagpipe, many people dancing, and of course a lot of drinking.  However, it's prohibited to bring alcohol onto the street when you first enter and all of the bars had a cover charge to enter.  After you do get in to a bar or pub, the drink costs are pretty outrageous too. They did offer some deals like a 100peso (25USD) cover, but then free drinks all night or 60peso (~15USD) cover with two free drinks inside.  However, if you left the bar at all you would have to repay to get back in. With the big party being in the street and an average bottle of beer here being about 5peso (1.25USD) it just seemed a little crazy.  Something else crazy were the men there. It was definitely cool to see and experience though.  I'd recommend to anyone to at least check it out if you have the chance to be here on St. Patty's. 


This weekend on Friday the 18th, I went to something called Spanglish.  It helps those trying to learn Spanish or English by practicing with each other. I guess normally it's set up almost like speed dating, where you talk to one person for five minutes, each of you speaking in the language you're trying to learn then switching. I went on trivia night though, so we were put into groups, with at least one native Spanish speaker in each group.  On my team, there were three of us trying to learn Spanish and one woman trying to learn English.  You don't have much time to answer questions, so I did end up speaking English for a fair amount of time.  I was able to meet a lot of new people though and after trivia was over  (my team placed last..) we all went out for pizza, drinks, and dancing.  Overall I'm really glad I went, but if I do go again I'll go on a normal night.  


La Biblioteca Nacional de la Republica Argentina


Since I ended up staying out late on Friday, (until about 5:30AM which is not uncommon, even early for some) on Saturday night I stayed in.  Once I got caught up on sleep, my roommate and I took the subte to Recoleta where we spent the day.  First we stopped for lunch at a restaurant.  The dining experience is so much different here than in the States. When I worked at Buffalo Wild Wings at home there are certain time frames you're supposed to follow and 
things you are expected to promote and mention when serving a table.  Here though, it's SO much more laid back.  We sat for maybe 15 minutes before making sure they knew we were even there.  They did, but like any other restaurant here, just weren't rushing out.  When it comes time to order, you do it when you want and the waiters don't recommend anything unless you ask them too. Merritt and I of course ordered empanadas.  We both got a promotion for 3 empanadas and bottle of coke for 25peso (~6.USD).  Even though the restaurant closed while we were there, they don't mind if you sit and finish your food or conversation.  After lunch we walked around Recoleta and saw so many cool places. The first place we stopped was the National Library of Argentine Republic.  It's a very unique building with different architecture than any buildings around it. After wandering around there we went to see Floralis Generica, also called the metal or steal flower. That's exactly what it is and it's amazing to see.  There are people out all around the grounds of the flower, sitting in the sun, taking touristy photos (like me), or even taking an outdoor yoga class.  From there we walked a to the fería of Recoleta and saw some street performers.  There was a group of about six guys who collected money by doing flips over a rope.  They highest was probably about seven feet or so.  It was much taller than the guy who flipped over it.  We also went to the Cemetery of Recoleta. This is where Eva Perón is buried and it also has the tombs of many government and upper-class Argentines.  We arrived close to closing time, so I didn't make it to Evita's tomb because it is so big.  Next time I go there though I'll make sure to see it. 


So after two weeks, I do feel like I know my way around a little more and can communicate better, in part because I am learning so much and also from just gaining more confidence with it.  I've also started to meet new people, which is awesome because everyone is from different places and are here for different reasons. I love it. 


This next week on Wednesday I'm traveling to Cabo Polonio, Uruguay and staying until Sunday night.  I encourage you to Google it or read the blog when I get back and update it. It's going to be an experience, that's for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment